how do i start a dialogue with a charater?

Started by dtvman, Sun 05/02/2023 20:05:13

Previous topic - Next topic

dtvman

Hello friends I'm new to this so please have some patience, I want to make a conversation with a character inside the game but I keep getting errors like this
this is what I'm typing
Code: ags
 function jannyman_Talk()
{
jannyman.Start(); 
} 

this is what I'm getting

Code: ags
 GlobalScript.asc(443): Error (line 443): '.start' is not a public member of 'Character'. Are you sure you spelt it correctly (remember, capital letters are important)? 

the name is spelled correctly, this also happens if I replace "start" with "walk"
Also, does anyone have a copy of the manual? that'll be greatly appreciated.
I appreciate your help

Crimson Wizard

Please, always post the relevant part of your script when asking about scripting errors. Without that we may only guess what you could have done wrong.

In regards to this, though, I suppose that instead of DialogName.Start you typed CharacterName.start.
Starting the dialogue requires a created Dialog first, and you use its name to start it.
In AGS script letter case is also important (it's "Start" and "Walk", not "start" and "walk").

If it's only an exchange of few lines, you may also use "Character.Say" command without creating a Dialog script. But with that you won't have any dialog options.

Quote from: dtvman on Sun 05/02/2023 20:05:13Also, does anyone have a copy of the manual? that'll be greatly appreciated.

The offline manual that comes with AGS may be accessed by pressing F1 in your editor, or Help -> Dynamic Help in the menu.
The online manual is available here: https://adventuregamestudio.github.io/ags-manual/

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk