Can't change forum avatar

Started by Ponch, Sat 07/01/2023 20:34:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Ponch

I changed my avatar to my santa cow for the holidays with no problem. Now that I'm trying to change it back to my regular cow, I'm suddenly getting the message "HTML tags are not allowed." Literally the only thing I'm changing about the link for the image is the name of the file. Every other part of the url is the same.

Anyone know what might be going on?

AGA

Can you please give me the URL you're trying to enter?

Ponch

My current avatar:
Code: ags
https://www.barnrunner.com/pics/misc/cow_santa.gif

The avatar i want to use:
Code: ags
https://www.barnrunner.com/pics/misc/Cow_Flying.gif

I can't see what's causing the issue.  :confused:

Gilbert

A cow flying a plane is a very dangerous activity, Moooo.stly forbidden to be depicted in public forums to avoid casualties...

Seriously though, have you tried changing the file name of the image and see whether it works?

Cassiebsg

Really, next time don't use superglue on that hat!  (laugh)
There are those who believe that life here began out there...

Ponch

Quote from: Gilbert on Mon 09/01/2023 10:57:42have you tried changing the file name of the image and see whether it works?
I've tried several different cow avatars. None of them work. They all give the same error. I even tried to use the link for same picture I'm currently using. But I still get the same "HTML tags are not allowed" error.  :shocked:

Gilbert

Hmmm. I just added an avatar and it worked for me.
Maybe the forum just doesn't like your urls and bullies you.

On a side note, I finally add an avatar! After more than two decades!
The irony is that this avatar was indeed created for use here, back when just hotlinking a 20kb forum avatar from free image hosting could eat up all the monthly bandwidth, so I never put it up here.

AGA

The images are different resolutions, so definitely not *only* the filename is different!

Also the new one has Sentence Casing rather than being all lowercase.  And is on HTTPS instead of HTTP.

This is a bug in SMF itself.  I've manually updated your avatar URL in the database for now.

Ponch

Thanks for changing my avatar. To clarify, what I meant when I said that it was the same picture was that I tried to use the same santa pic that I was currently using, just to see what the issue was. But when I tried to update my profile from the santa avatar that I was currently using to the exact same santa avatar, it wouldn't let me change it, even though I was trying to link to the same picture I was currently using. Something changed in the forum behind the scenes from when I switched over to santa in early December to when I tried to change the avatar in January. One of the code tubes must be clogged or something? FYI.

In the meantime, my Santa Cow is retired until next Christmas. Hopefully this will be resolved by than. Thanks for your help.  :smiley:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk