Melrin: The Disciple Ordeal - 20 year anniversary remake

Started by Joacim Andersson, Wed 25/01/2023 23:22:04

Previous topic - Next topic

Joacim Andersson

The game is now released

It's been nearly 20 years since I last used AGS, and boy things have changed. But now that I've picked it up again and have some free time on my hands, I thought I would remake my very first game Melrin: The Disciple Ordeal since the original is not available anymore.

This time it will have completely new graphics since I don't have the original anymore, and it will be in 16:9 format.

If you have played the original there's one big change in this one, the original game had a maze and people hate mazes so I've created a completely new puzzle for that part. Also, you can't die in this game, which you could in the original, instead Melrin will avoid getting in those dangerous situations.

The story: Our hero, Melrin (yes, it's Melrin NOT Merlin) finds himself in a strange land, he has no idea how he got there or why. In fact, he has totally lost his memory. So the first task is to find out where he is and why he's there. After a while, after speaking to a certain character he finds out that he is a magician disciple and he has through magic been transferred to this land to go through his final test to find out if he is worthy of becoming a full-fledged magician.

He has to find the four crystals of the elements and offer them to the gateway of the worlds. To accomplish this he must use all his magical powers, the problem is that since he has lost his memory he has also lost all his knowledge of magic. Thankfully his knowledge of the art has been captured in some magical spheres that are spread all over the land, so he must find these to be able to locate the crystals.

The interface is pretty simple, left click means "walk to" or "interact with" an object or an NPC, and the mouse cursor will flash when you hover over something you can interact with. Right-clicking on an interactive area means "Look at" otherwise the right mouse button will toggle between the regular mouse cursor or the last active inventory item (you can also use the spacebar to do this toggle).

You can see your inventory list by moving the mouse cursor to the top of the screen, where you can also save or restore a game, quit the game, or show some help information.

Progress

Story: 100%
Scripting: 100%
Graphics: 100%
Sound/Music: 100%

heltenjon

Quote from: Joacim Andersson on Wed 25/01/2023 23:22:04It's been nearly 20 years since I last used AGS, and boy things have changed. But now that I've picked it up again and have some free time on my hands, I thought I would remake my very first game Melrin: The Disciple Ordeal since the original is not available anymore.

Best of luck with the project! But I wonder...the database page https://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/204-melrin-the-disciple-ordeal-updated-version-/ now directs to the ags depository at archive.org https://archive.org/details/Melrin_The_Disciple_Ordeal

Is this not the original?

Joacim Andersson

Wow, yeah it looks like it is, I used to have these games on my own domain, which I don't have anymore. Anyhow, I will still make this remake. First of all because it's fun, but also for it to work correctly on modern computers.

eri0o

Congratulations on making the new game!

Spoiler
Quote from: Joacim Andersson on Thu 26/01/2023 16:59:05for it to work correctly on modern computers.

@Joacim Andersson AGS has really good backwards compatibility, there is a chance it still runs your older game. Just copy acwin.exe (and sdl2.dll) in the same directory as the game, and double click acwin.exe and it should just run your game.
[close]

Joacim Andersson

Thank you eri0o, I have downloaded my old game from the archive and it still runs. However, if you run it in full-screen mode (which is intended) then if it ever moves to the background and you switch back to it the screen is distorted, at least on my Windows 11 computer. The new version doesn't seem to have that problem.

Spoiler
Just testing to see if I used the correct tag to hide some text.
[close]

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk