Mittens 2023: The Remittening?

Started by Snarky, Sun 30/10/2022 12:28:14

Previous topic - Next topic

Snarky

Sooo... the era of lockdowns appears to be over—regardless of whether the actual pandemic is. We've missed three years of Mittenses; is there any interest in resuming the tradition next year?

AGA

Yup from me and Tamara!  I was planning on raising the subject in the new year, but looks like you got there first.

Disco

Count me in! I too was thinking of a time and post title to get the discussion going, but Snarky beat anything I had come up with :P

Radiant

It's nice to hear that this still exists. I'll keep an eye out, but I don't have a lot of free days so can't promise anything.

Snarky

Love to hear it!

The Mittens that got canceled in 2020 was planned for the Cotswolds, England. Do we want another try at that, or open it up to other possibilities?

Disco

It is definitely worth considering since we narrowed down to and agreed upon it in 2020, but it is good to keep ideas open depending on the interest we get. I am curious if that house is still being let at the moment, and if we could have our reservation with deposit reinstated  (laugh)  (laugh)

cat

Quote from: AGA on Mon 31/10/2022 00:07:59Yup from me and Tamara!  I was planning on raising the subject in the new year, but looks like you got there first.

Would that just be the two of your or is this going to be a family thing?

AGA

Quote from: cat on Mon 07/11/2022 08:51:07
Quote from: AGA on Mon 31/10/2022 00:07:59Yup from me and Tamara!  I was planning on raising the subject in the new year, but looks like you got there first.

Would that just be the two of your or is this going to be a family thing?

We'd aim to bring our son; at very least get a separate place nearby wherever Mittens is hosted, if not in the main Mittens house.

cat

I guess for us it will depend on how this will be organized (e.g. will other families come with kids, where will they stay, are other participants even okay with people bringing their kids, etc.)

AGA

So any more thoughts about this?

eri0o

First thing would be setting a date
:)

Cotswolds looks lovely

AGA

Quote from: eri0o on Sun 12/03/2023 15:03:42First thing would be setting a date
:)

Cotswolds looks lovely

Generally numbers come first, with people giving a vague idea of when they might be available if they're interested in attending.  If I know ~10 people are potentially interested, vs ~20, then I can look at possible properties.  All these things determine the dates we have to choose from.

Disco

I am still interested!

There has been a Mittens-shaped hole in my soul for a few years now, and was bummed when the initial 2023 chat fizzled. Hoping we can rally enough to support a new adventure :)

Snarky

Yeah, thanks for bringing this back up, @AGA! In order to gauge interest among potential attendees, it might be useful to reach out to people who have attended or expressed interest in Mittens in latter years. I've put together this list, based mainly on attendee lists plus some people who have posted in past Mittens threads (each person being listed only for the most recent year):

2021 (?)
cat
LimpingFish
TheFrighter (?)
FormosaFalanster (?)

2020 (Cotswolds)
AGA
Creamy
Disco
Esseb
Igor+1
Matt Frith
Privateer Puddin'
Snarky
tampie85

2019 (Australia)
CJ+1
Layabout
scotch
Wiggy

2018 (Boston)
Grundislav
Jess
Quintaros+1
sonneveld
Terri
JenniBee
MillsJROSS+1
m0rph84
Pesty

2017 (Iceland)
2ma2
yamipanda

2016 (Sweden)
Andail
Chrille

Obviously not all of these are likely to attend. Any other names that should be added?

I can PM and try to email them, but if someone has other contact options, like Facebook, it would be great if you could ping them.

I would think it's also quite important to decide how to handle families bringing children, as you started to discuss earlier in the thread, but as a non-parent I don't think I can really contribute there.

cat

After my last reply this thread went dead, so we already planned this year's vacation.

Snarky

Sorry to hear that, @cat. I don't think we've fully gotten used to the lower level of forum traffic and how it affects things like arranging Mittens.

Privateer Puddin'

Sorry, I'm in Tokyo now and won't be back in the UK this year! Definitely interested in future Mittens though

Creamy

I won't be able to attend since I already planned my holidays for this summer. Maybe next time.

TheFrighter

Quote from: Snarky on Tue 14/03/2023 14:15:162021 (?)
cat
LimpingFish
TheFrighter (?)
FormosaFalanster (?)

Sorry, I never attended at Mittens in 2021 although it interest me!

And this year I don't think I could travel in UK!

_

Radiant

@Snarky thank you for the heads-up!

Quote from: cat on Tue 14/03/2023 16:18:45After my last reply this thread went dead, so we already planned this year's vacation.
The same goes for me; I have no unplanned free days left for this year.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk